Friday, August 20, 2010

Homozygous MTHFR Mutation as a cause for miscarriage?

I just got my recurrent miscarriage blood panel results today. RE called me at work this afternoon and told me the results over the phone.

He found a couple things:

#1 - I have a double mutation MTHFR (homozygous) but with normal homocystine levels.
Basically this means I will have to begin taking a baby aspirin every day along with EXTRA folic acid in addition to the folic acid that's already in my prescription prenatal. Also, I will begin daily Lovenox injections after ovulation through pregnancy. I JUST found this out today and have LOTS of research to do because I know nothing about the MTHFR gene and mutations of the gene.

#2 - I'm showing slightly elevated levels of autoimmune antibodies so RE wants me to see a rheumatologist. ??? Not sure what this could mean and he didn't get into it with me.

I'm definitely nervous because what I HAVE read shows that the DOUBLE mutation of the MTHFR gene is much worse than mutation on ONE of the genes but the Lovenox is supposed to be effective along with increased folic acid.

I will be taking this cycle off, unfortunately, for financial reasons but I figure it will give me some time to build the folic acid in my body before trying again... also the baby aspirin each day may help as well once I've been taking it for a whole cycle.

I'm moving next weekend into my own apartment. Mark and I are still together but have decided living together isn't in our best interest at this time. So, moving and Mark troubles on top of TTC has me wiped out! Luckily I've decided to take another semester off from grad school. I just don't think I could handle another dang thing!

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that you have some answers and some solutions. <3 You're a strong woman - you'll be a Mumma in no time *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Charity,

    I am glad to hear that you finally have some results. I wanted to let you know that I have the same double gene mutation that you do (MTHFR) with normal homocystine levels (which is a good thing).

    For TTC my RE started me on the prenatal Neevo DHA which has higher levels of folic acid and also a baby aspirin each day....and we conceived the first month with our IUI. I didn't have to take any Lovenox while TTC--I just took the normal fertility drugs, Femera for 5 days, Follistm injections, Ganirelix and Pregnyl to bring on ovulation.

    I actually didn't learn about my mutation until I was released to my regular OB and he mentioned it to me. I, of course, freaked out and called the RE with tons of questions. Their response was "This is why you are on the Neevo DHA and baby aspirin each day...we didn't want to give you more to think about". Apparently having this double gene mutation is not nearly as bad if you have normal homo cycstine levels.

    I don't know a lot about it, I just had to stop reading stuff....but I know that the above protocol worked for me and we had success our first round of IUI--for which we are ver grateful.

    Please feel free to contact me with any questions. nicolebialek@hotmail.com

    Take care of yourself and good luck with your move.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a lot to think about but that is not too much that it will keep you from getting pregnant. That's a good thing. You know now and so you'll be back on the right protocol and pregnant before you know it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello everyone!! I'm Marilyn Here in the States and I'm here to talk about what Dr. James did for me. I have been suffering from (GENITAL HERPES VIRUS) disease for the past 4 years and had constant pain and itching, especially in my private part. During the first year. This disease started circulating all over my body and  I have used Oregano oil, Coconut oil, Acyclovir, Val acyclovir, Acyclovir, and some other products and it really helped during my outbreaks but I totally got cured! From my HSV with a strong and active herbal medicine ordered from  Dr. James herbal mix and it completely fought the virus from my nervous system, and I was tested negative after 15 days of using  Dr. James herbal mix medicine. I'm here to let you all know that the herpes virus has a complete cure, I got rid of mine with the help of Dr. James herbal medicine.  I came across a testimony of Tasha, on the internet testifying about Dr. James, on how he cured Her of 7 years HSV 2. And she also gave the email address of  the great Dr. James  (drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com...]..., advising anybody to contact him for help on any kind of diseases that he would be of help with, so I emailed him telling him about me (HSV 2) he told me not to worry that I'm going to be cured!! Well, I never doubted him. I have faith he can cure me too, Dr. James prepared and sent me his herbal mix medicine made of roots and herbs which I took. In the first one week, I started experiencing changes all over me, after 15 days I drank his herbal mix medicine, I was totally cured. No more inching, pain on me anymore as Dr. James assured me. After some time I went to my doctor to do another test. The result came out negative. So friends my advice is if you have such disease or know anyone who suffers from it or any other disease like Alzheimer's Disease, Warts, Moles, Bipolar disorder, Shingles, HPV, HIV/AIDS, ALS, HBP, CANCER, NEPHROTIC SYNDROME HIV / AIDS, herpes cancer, Ovarian Cancer, Pancreatic cancers, bladder cancer, bladder cancer, prostate cancer, Glaucoma., Cataracts, Macular degeneration, Cardiovascular disease, Autism, Lung disease. Enlarged prostate, Osteoporosis. Alzheimer's disease, psoriasis, Tach Diseases, Lupus, Backache, dementia. Kidney cancer, lung cancer, skin cancer, skin cancer and skin cancer. Testicular Cancer, LEUKEMIA, VIRUSES, HEPATITIS, INFERTILITY., etc. you can contact  the great  one  directly on his........@ drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com  He is a good man, and He will help you.  

    ReplyDelete